Job vacancy Financial Manager at Palladium – Utrecht
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits. For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
The Challenge Fund for Youth Employment (CFYE) is a 6-year and €114 million programme funded by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, that aims to create a prosperous future for 200,000 young women and men in the Middle East, North Africa, Sahel & West Africa and Horn of Africa regions. The Fund will be supporting initiatives in 23 focus countries that will offer youth, in particular young women, opportunities for work that is demand-driven and productive, offering a stable income and safe working conditions, and that is contributing to their personal development and social protection.
Private sector, civil society and knowledge institutions will be invited to submit proposals geared to scalable solutions for creating more and better jobs and income generating opportunities for youth. Solutions will in particular focus on an integrated approach that addresses the shortcomings on the demand side (jobs) and supply side (skills) and bridging the mismatch between these two in the labour market.
- Purpose of Position
The Manager, Financial Management will work with the relevant project managers as well as corporate financial management team in the oversight of the Challenge Fund’s financial reporting and financial system administration. Using strong communications skills and analytical analysis the Financial Manager will develop and maintain positive relationships with colleagues, partners and clients.
The role will be responsible for assisting in the review of project finance and accounts, budgets for accuracy, creating budget narratives, researching cost information and responding to financial requests as needed.
As part of the Palladium team in Utrecht, the role will be expected to support financial reporting and forecasting for other direct and indirect projects that are managed from Utrecht.
- Primary responsibilities:
The primary responsibilities of the Financial Manager are related to financial management on the Challenge Fund for Youth Employment and these include:
- Liaising closely with Project Management team, the Challenge Fund team leader, Fund Management team and corporate financial management team
- Ensuring Profit and Loss, balance sheet and headcount plans are accurately recorded in the system
- Performing monthly forecasts and project financial analysis
- Raising monthly invoices on corporate systems, and manage submissions of fund requests to the client
- Establishing budget baseline and performing statistical trend analysis
- Maintaining overview of programme expenditure against programme work plan and budgets, variance analysis.
- Maintaining a rolling cash flow projection;
- Manage relationship with auditors for the project, and prepare and provide all necessary documentation
- Ensure the appropriate use of programme codes and the up to date documentation and reconciliation of programme expenditure and accruals
- Prepare financial reports required by the client
The Finance Manager will work closely with the Fund Management team in the following areas:
- Reviewing grant recipients’ financial reports for accuracy
- Ensuring all grant funds are achieving value for money and being spent in accordance to Fund Agreements
- Reviewing proposal budgets and providing constructive feedback
- Providing guidance to the relevant staff of partners on effective financial management
- Support program staff in grant revisions, cost extensions, no-cost extensions, budget realignments, and other as required
- Overseeing all financial and grant management responsibilities including funds disbursement, funds transfer requests and acquittals, and financial reporting. Ensure that all financial transactions are done with integrity and cost effectiveness and are necessary for the purpose of achieving the programme goals.
- General Financial Management responsibilities
- Manage all Palladium’s banking requirements in the Netherlands. Maintain sound professional relations with the bank and stay up to date with current financial regulations, including tax liabilities to the Netherlands company and the programmes.
- This role may be required to provide further financial support to other programmes operated out of the Palladium Netherlands office.
- Manage corporate audits for Palladium Netherlands entity and project audits for programmes managed by the Palladium team in Utrecht.
- Oversee VAT reporting and compliance
- Providing ongoing financial training and support to team members
- Reporting Requirements
- The role will directly report to the Challenge Fund for Youth Employment Team Leader, and work closely with other members of the Challenge Fund team, other project teams in the Utrecht office, and the Financial Management team in London.
- Minimum requirements
- Relevant Academic qualifications in a related field
- CA or CPA or at least a Master’s degree in a finance or business management, is preferred
- ACCA / CIMA / equivalent
- Experience in project accounting and revenue recognition preferred.
- Willing to travel internationally up to 35% of the year
- Key competencies and professional expertise required
- Knowledge and understanding of grant mechanisms, including fiduciary risk management
- Knowledge of Dutch VAT and tax laws
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Strong writing and communication skills;
- Fluency in English required and Dutch fluency is preferred
- Knowledge of COBRA, PM Compass, CER systems would be advantageous
- High standard of written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong inter-personal skills and the ability to balance multiple projects and deadlines;
- Advanced Excel skill level.
- Core competencies
- The ability to pursue, adapt, and lead change, and demonstrate flexibility in response to changing business environments;
- The ability to see the bigger picture and affect business drivers through decisions and actions, and the ability to contribute to the long-term profitability and growth of the organisation;
- Developing and using collaborative relationships;
- Ownership of learning and striving to develop own knowledge and capabilities to support the organisation’s success;
- The ability to see how an individual fits into Palladium, impact of individual actions on bottom line and effectively manage resources.