Vacancy Senior Technical Officer
The overall purpose of the job
The Senior Technical Officer focuses on the development and delivery of projects inclusive management, coordination with partners and provision of technical & strategic support to the Program Managers (Stream Leads) and Head Business and Ecosystems.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Project management and technical implementation
- Responsible for optimal technical and financial implementation and reporting of projects
- Responsible for effective leadership of project team: internal staff, WI offices network and external project partners
- Leads on collaborative processes with internal and external stakeholders in the framework of the projects
- Responsible for strategic communication of project outcomes to internal and external stakeholders
- Strategy and Innovation
- In consultation with Program & Strategy Team, CEO and other WI offices, development of strategy direction and plans for WI
- Monitors and identifies relevant (environmental, social) issues and trends and translates these into opportunities for the organization and running and new projects
- Leads on coordination for implementation of specific programs/strategies, including program and project management
- Provides strategic and technical input into program areas as requested
- Communication of and advocates for Wetlands International’s work and achievements
- Resource development
- Identifies opportunities for project development and resources and takes a leading role in project bid teams
- Responsible for donor stewardship: pro-active and timely communication with the donor including sharing of successes and lessons
- Networking & partnership developments
- Proactively seeks and develops new strategic partnerships
- Establishes and manages relevant internal and external contacts with key internal and external stakeholders of the organization
- Represents Wetlands International in relevant fora and events
The tasks/duties will relate to the biodiversity, resilience and corporate engagement programs and their development and implementation by the network as a whole. The specific tasks and result areas will be agreed in annual work plans.
- INSIDE Wetlands International:
- COO, Director of operations and Network Development, head office staff; staff from offices network.
- OUTSIDE Wetlands International:
- Partner organizations, donors, consultants, experts, Council members and wider external relations network of Wetlands International.
ProfileThe Senior Technical Officer is a networker with excellent understanding of international collaboration in wetlands issues. He is well able to profile Wetlands International as an authority in wetlands issues with good knowledge of wetland science and strong interest in international conservation and sustainable development and the links between them. He has a strong network of contacts of relevant individuals, institutions, governments and (inter)national organization.
Essential education and experience
- MSc degree in relevant scientific discipline (e.g. biology, geography, environmental science/management)
- At least 10 years working experience in project management international context
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) with fluent English, additional language skills are desirable
- Working experience in the NGO or Corporate sector with a substantial amount of Programme development and management experience
- Personal network of international contacts
- Authority in the field of wetlands management and development
- Experience of working in an international multi-cultural community
- An appreciation for the role of international non-governmental organization and delivering sustainable development solutions
- Ability to travel and work independently
- Interest in working an international multi-cultural community
- Active interest in current environment and development matters
- Ability to operate in a multitude of languages (besides English) including French
- Full-time, 36 hours per week (It’s 36 hours per week for a full-time job in Wetlands International).
- Salary scale 11-12 of Wetlands International (Gross Euro 3.184 – Max.4.456 based on a fulltime contract).
- Contract duration: One year.
- Location: Head Office in Ede- Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- Start date: a.s.a.p.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send an application email with “Senior TO” as the subject to firstname.lastname@example.org with the below two documents in English:
- a letter of application (no more than 2 pages) stating your motivation for this position and your demonstrated skills and experience for this post,
- your resume /CV (no more than 3 pages, without photos).
Deadline for the application is 31 August 2019. Applications that are not complete will not be processed.
About Wetlands International Wetlands International is a worldwide, not-for-profit organisation with 60 years of experience.
Our organisation is a Network made up of 20 offices working in over 100 countries, with outstanding technical staff around the world.Together with many partners, Wetlands International works to safeguard and restore wetlands for people and nature, to reconcile conflicts over water, reduce the risks and impacts of floods and droughts, meet future food needs and tackle climate change.